Norwalk house fire causes estimated $125,000 worth of damage

Cary Ashby • Apr 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Two homeowners and their dog weren't injured in an East Main Street fire Sunday night. However, the blaze caused an estimated $125,000 worth of damage.

The cause of the blaze that destroyed the residence at 256 E. Main St. remains under investigation. However, the Norwalk Fire Department doesn't consider the fire suspicious or related to arson.

"I don't think it's electrical," Chief Shawn Dickerson said.

(NOTE - To see pictures of the fire, click HERE and HERE.)

The two residents are believed to be living locally now.

"They've got a couple different options," Dickerson said.

At 8:24 p.m. Sunday, firefighters received a call about a reported porch fire.

"Two homeowners were home. They thought they smelled smoke and about the time they were investigating, a neighbor was knocking on the door, letting them know (about the fire)," Dickerson said. "They've got a dog and got the dog out."

While the crew was en route, police dispatchers reported the fire had extended into the home.

"Upon arrival, heavy fire was coming from the rear porch, kitchen and second-floor bedroom, as well as extending up the exterior," Lt. Brett Beers wrote in his report. "(The) fire had consumed the rear porch, kitchen, stairway and upstairs bedroom."

Firefighters initiated an interior attack with a 1 3/4-inch hand line. The crew, which had the blaze under control in about 20 minutes, performed extensive salvage and overhaul. Firefighters returned to the station at 12:37 a.m. -- more than four hours after being dispatched to the scene.

Dickerson praised the efforts of Beers, who directed the crew at the scene and the work of the 12 firefighters.

Before the firefighters arrived, one neighbor said he heard a loud crackling noise. Upon investigation, he found the rear porch was engulfed in flames.

"One neighbor notified (the) residents and the other attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. (The) owner opened the rear door and was driven back by heat and flames from the porch area. (The) owner exited via the front door of the home," Beers said.

The fire apparently started in the corner of the back porch.

Firefighters estimate the house, which is worth $100,000, sustained $75,000 worth of damage. All of the contents, valued at about $50,000, were a total loss.

Recommended for You