Leave Feedback

Two motorcyclists killed in crashes

Aaron Krause • Jul 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM

(UPDATED with name of second victim) Authorities are investigating two fatal crashes involving motorcycles that occurred over the weekend in this area.

A Norwich Township crash, which occurred at 5:17 p.m. Saturday, killed a Plymouth High School graduate, Gregory R. Oney, 25, of Shelby.

The second fatal accident, which occurred at 1:48 a.m. Sunday on Cherry Boulevard, east of Ohio 269 in Bellevue, claimed the life of Jason Seibold, 32, of Bellevue.

Oney, 2004 graduate of Plymouth High School, was operating a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja west on Scottwood Road when he lost control, went off the south side of the roadway and struck the east side of a private driveway. Oney, who was not wearing a helmet, was ejected from the motorcycle. He was pronounced dead at the scene, and his body was transported to Willard Hospital. The crash remains under investigation.

State Highway Patrol troopers were assisted at scene by Willard Fire & Rescue/EMS and Toledo St. Vincent Mobile LifeFlight.

Oney was employed as a conductor at CSX in Willard. He was a member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church and the Plymouth American Legion. He enjoyed motorcycling, firearms and playing basketball and mud volleyball.

A Marine veteran, Oney was stationed once in Iraq and once in Afghanistan, receiving honors and letters of accommodation as a result of his military service.

Survivors include his mother, Phyllis Hicks of Willard, and father and step-mother, Wayne and Joann Oney of Mansfield.

Calling hours will take place Tuesday at Secor Funeral Home in Willard. The complete obituary appears on this website. Click HERE to read it.

In the Bellevue fatality, Seibold was driving a 2005 Harley Davidson XL 883 motorcycle west on Cherry Boulevard when he failed to negotiate a curve. The motorcycle went off the right side of the roadway and struck a guardrail. Seibold, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene. The crash remains under investigation.

Troopers were assisted on scene by the Bellevue Police Department, North Central EMS and the Bellevue Fire Department.

Recommended for You