Leave Feedback

UPDATE - Towels left on stove starts Reed Street fire

Cary Ashby • Apr 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Firefighters have determined a basket of towels left on top of a stove accidentally ignited and started a local fire Friday.

The blaze burned the immediate vicinity of the stove at 25 Reed St., Norwalk Fire Capt. Tim Lucas wrote in his report. A passerby noticed smoke coming from the small house and reported it at 6:05 p.m.

(NOTE - To see photos of the fire, click HERE.)

"Upon arrival, (we) found moderate smoke conditions coming from the house. (We) attacked the fire with a 1 3/4 pre-connected hose line through the front door and extinguished the fire, which was confined to the kitchen area," Lucas wrote.

Firefighters ventilated the kitchen and determined the fire didn't extend anywhere else. The crew left the scene 36 minutes after they arrived. The home of Mitchell and Tina Case sustained about $25,000 worth of damage.

Find more of this story and other exclusive content in the Norwalk Reflector print edition or the E┬ĚPaper online newspaper.

Recommended for You