America Asked For A Change:
A little over a year ago:
1. Consumer confidence stood at a 21/2 year high;
2. Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3. The unemployment rate was 4.5 percent.
Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we've seen:
1. Consumer confidence plummet;
2. The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3 a gallon;
3. Unemployment is up to five percent (a 10-percent increase);
4. American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5. Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion;
6. One percent of American homes are in foreclosure.
America voted for change in 2006, and we got it.
The most significant accomplishment by the Democratic controlled Congress in 2007: They voted to increase their pay.
Richard J. Rees