Authorities say Norwalk man trying to kill ex-girlfriend drives truck into motel

Cary Ashby • Oct 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM

A Norwalk man who ran his relative's truck into an Avery motel room Saturday must post a $100,000 bond before being released from the Erie County Jail.

The ex-girlfriend of Joel Deleon, 32, of 5144 U.S. 250, Lot 27, and her son had cuts from the flying debris, but Erie County Sheriff's Capt. Paul Sigsworth said the injuries appeared to be minor. About 8 p.m., the woman heard a loud muffler outside her room which she recognized as belonging to the pickup truck driven by Deleon, Sigsworth said.

It's unknown how far away the truck was before Deleon headed for the building. The room sustained extensive damage and the heating unit was blown off the wall.

"There's absolutely no skid marks," Sigsworth said, adding that the truck "narrowly" missed the woman. "The entire cab section of the truck was in the room."

Deleon fled the Super 8 Motel, 11313 U.S. 250, and went to his mother's residence in the Rustic Hills Mobile Home Park. Sigsworth said it's unclear how the suspect got there, but said he presumably got a ride. The sheriff's captain also noted Rustic Hills is within walking distance of Super 8.

Sigsworth said Deleon's relatives had been notified of the incident and they attempted to keep him there.

"He was fighting with family members, trying to flee," he said.

Deputies contacted the Huron County Sheriff's Office about 40 minutes after the Super 8 incident and requested they look for Deleon. Deputy Steve Shupp received a 9-1-1 call from the mother's home "with a lot of screaming going on" just as he arrived at Rustic Hills, Major Greg Englund said.

Shupp saw Deleon running between two mobile homes toward the woods. Shupp later ordered Deleon to get off the ground, Englund said. The suspect "jumped up and took off running," he continued, and then tripped on some branches.

The deputy ordered Deleon to stay down and the two men wrestled when the suspect attempted to get up, Englund said. Shupp eventually rolled away from the suspect, who tried to reach for the deputy's belt. Shupp pulled his Taser, warning Deleon he would use it if he didn't stop resisting arrest. Shupp had to subdue the suspect by using the Taser on him, Englund said.

Deleon and his ex-girlfriend had been living on North Pleasant Street "for a short period of time" before the Super 8 incident, Sigsworth said. The suspect found out the woman was staying at the motel until she could find an apartment and called her numerous times trying to get her to go out with him, the deputy continued.

Deleon was charged with attempted murder, felonious assault, vandalism, driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license. He pleaded guilty this morning to the driving offenses in Erie County Municipal Court, but his sentence was not available as of press time.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos