Willard man blows probation, receives 22-month prison term

Cary Ashby • Oct 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM

A Willard man admitted to four allegations of violating his probation Monday. He was sentenced to 22 months in prison.

Chad M. Conley, 25, of 437 E. High St., will serve 10 months behind bars because the court credited him with serving a total of one year from two previous convictions, Huron County Assistant Prosecutor Daivia Kasper said. In one case, he was sentenced to up to six months in a community-based corrections facility (CBCF), a form of prison focusing on education and substance abuse treatment.

During Monday's hearing, Conley admitted to testing positive for opiates and Oxycontin and failing to do substance abuse counseling, Kasper said. He also failed to follow the orders of his probation officer and didn't make office visits.

Originally, Conley was sentenced June 27, 2006 to three years of probation, 100 hours of community service and was fined $500 for trafficking in heroin. Less than four months later, he received an identical sentence for a separate conviction of trafficking in a counterfeit controlled substance.

In other court news:

The state withdrew its probation violation complaint Monday against Joseph W. Hardy, 47, of 671 Rome Greenwich Road, New London. His probation officer said Hardy complied with substance abuse counseling and paid all of his restitution, fines and costs. Kasper said Hardy was accused of testing positive for marijuana and failing to complete counseling.

On March 4, 2003, Hardy originally was sentenced to four months in the Huron County Jail with work release, five years of probation ordered to pay about $1,400 in restitution for attempted aggravated assault.

The court placed Andrew V. Hicks, 24, of 4094 Townline Road 12, Willard, on intensive supervision probation Monday in connection with failing to report to his probation officer. Kasper said Hicks has a 30-day jail sentence hanging over his head, which could be waived if he gets a job and keeps it for six months.

On June 27, 2006, Hicks was sentenced to three years of probation, 100 hours of community service and was fined $1,000 for complicity to trafficking in heroin. He also was ordered to participate in drug treatment court and had his driver's license suspended for six months.

"He did not do well in drug treatment court," Kasper said. The court then sent him to a CBCF, which he completed.

On Feb. 1, 2006, sheriff's deputies found between 10 and 50 doses of heroin behind the passenger seat in a vehicle during a Liberty Road, Willard, traffic stop near U.S. 224. Investigators said Hicks, the passenger, and his co-defendant were returning from Columbus after buying the drugs.

James M. Peak, 20, of 205 Center St., Bellevue, was sentenced Tuesday to three years of probation and up to six months in a CBCF for trafficking in drugs. He also was fined $500 and ordered to pay $90 in restitution to the Bellevue Police Department.

Peak sold hydrocodone tablets to a confidential informant in Bellevue, Assistant Prosecutor Richard Woodruff said.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos