Shooting victim out of hospital

Cary Ashby • Oct 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM

The Milan woman shot Monday morning in Perkins Township has been treated and released from Firelands Regional Medical Center.

Authorities said Daniel R. Summers, 41, of Vermilion, committed suicide after shooting his estranged girlfriend, Jennifer M. Warren, 44. Summers had stalked her in the Milan area earlier this month.

Police told Summers to stay away from Warren after an Aug. 16 domestic incident at a Sleepy Hollow Road home, Milan Police Chief Jim Ward said. He said Summers arrived there to find Warren and "came crashing in through the door ... and pulled her out."

Warren refused to give an officer a statement, but regretted it several days later, Ward continued. The woman also told the police chief she feared for her safety after the Aug. 16 incident.

Because Warren did not say anything and did not have visible injuries, police could not pursue domestic violence charges, Ward said. So instead they cited Summers with disorderly conduct. He apologized to the officer immediately after the incident, Ward said, and paid a $85 fine to waive a court appearance.

On Monday morning, Summers was driving his Toyota Tacoma pickup truck in pursuit of Warren, who traveling north U.S. 250. While the vehicles were stopped at a traffic light at the entrance to Kalahari Waterpark Resort, Summers fired a .32-caliber handgun at Warren's car and a bullet hit her in the back.

The wounded woman continued on her way to the Perkins Township police station as Summers chased after her.

About 8:20 a.m., Erie County Sheriff's Deputy Mark Paule, while monitoring truck traffic, saw Summers speeding on U.S. 250 near Bogart Road, so he pulled out to stop Summers.

Paule then saw Summers ram his track into Warren's black Pontiac, said Capt. Paul Sigsworth.

Summers' truck ended up going off U.S. 250 into a ditch near the eastbound off-ramp for Ohio 2.

Sigsworth estimated the shooting happened about a minute before the collision.

Someone near the crash site, possibly a volunteer firefighter, warned Paule that Summers had a gun, Sigsworth said.

Summers was out of his truck by the time Paule arrived and was "bleeding from the face," he continued.

The man reached into the Tacoma and pulled out the gun, then put it to his forehead. Summers threatened to commit suicide and began back-pedaling, Sigsworth said.

The man continued to go backwards through the front of a fireworks business parking lot and into a corn field near a U.S. 250 hotel. Paule repeatedly told Summers to put the gun down and called for assistance, Sigsworth said.

About that time, Summers removed the gun from his forehead and shot one round into the air away from Paule before shooting himself in the head, Sigsworth said.

Perkins Township Police Chief Tim McClung did not respond to multiple requests for additional details about the shooting Monday.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos