no avatar

Mid-contract CRP cover management

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Oct 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM

The Ohio Farm Service Agency (FSA) has begun to develop a State Management team.

This team will include the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Fish and Wildlife Services (FWS), Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and Pheasants Forever (PF). The State Management team will complete site evaluations of CRP grass and wetland practices and determine the appropriate Mid-Contract Management activity needed based on the existing cover. How will this State Management team affect CRP participant? CRP participants with contracts effective beginning with sign-up 26 are required to perform management activities as part of their approved conservation plan. All CRP participants with contracts before sign-up 26 can perform management activities, voluntarily. If participants voluntarily request to revise the conservation plan, the management activities will be the same terms and conditions established for the required management activities. Required activities shall be designed to ensure plant diversity and wildlife benefits, while ensuring protection of the soil and water resources. Management activities are designed to be site specific and used to enhance the wildlife benefits for the site. Cost-sharing, up to 50 percent is available for most management practices. Management activities must not be performed during the primary nesting period or brood rearing season, which in Ohio is March 1 to July 15. Failure to perform planned management activities when required can result in contract violation. For CRP sign-up 26 and 27 participants, the local FSA office will be contacting you later this summer to schedule a time to review the management teams' recommendations for mid-contract management on your practice acres. Contact your local FSA County office for details concerning your mid-contract CRP cover management activities.

Here are some agri-business notes from the Huron and Erie County Farm Service Agency:

Youth loan projects The Farm Service Agency makes loans to rural youths to establish and operate income-producing projects in connection with 4-H clubs, FFA and other youth organizations. Projects must be planned and operated with the help of the organization advisor, produce sufficient income to repay the loan and provide the youth with practical business and educational experience. The maximum loan amount is $5000.

To learn the qualifications, stop by the county office. We'll help prepare and process the application forms and answer any questions you may have about the program. Remember, FSA is an equal opportunity lender.

Signing for entities To sign FSA forms for trusts, limited liability companies, cooperatives, partnerships or corporations, producers need a document on file at the county office saying you're authorized to sign for the entity. It could be a copy of the articles of partnership or articles of corporation or a valid power of attorney. You also have to know how you're supposed to sign. In almost all instances, when you are signing for an entity, your signature has to include "by" or "for," indicating you're signing in a representative capacity. Remember, if you've established an entity for your operation, you can no longer sign forms and contracts as yourself. When you have signing authority for an entity, you have to sign forms on behalf of the entity. If you have questions about the proper way to sign forms and contracts for your entity, contact the county office staff. We can review the records and help determine the acceptable signature for your situation.

Do you have your appointment to certify your crops? All producers of wheat and other small grains are reminded that the deadline to certify these crops without paying a late filing fee is June 30, 2007. If you have not scheduled your appointment to certify please give our office a call. Why pay late fees when you can avoid them by filing timely?

Non-Discrimination Statement The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information ( Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of Discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

Diana Strouse is the county executive director for the Huron and Erie County Farm Service Agency. For more information, call the agency at (419) 668-4113.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos