no avatar

Greenwich officers probe continues

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Oct 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM

The Huron County Sheriff's Office is continuing its investigation into the alleged misconduct of two Greenwich police officers, but authorities are remaining mum on what that probe entails.

Sheriff Richard Sutherland assigned the case to Detective Sgt. Dane Howard sometime after July 4.

"The case is still open and pending. At this point, I don't think it would help the investigation to make any public comments," Howard said, adding that Sutherland has not cleared him to discuss the case with the media.

An earlier media report indicated Sutherland said he had "heard" the suspected misconduct involved alcohol and minors. The same report said Greenwich Mayor Gary Sprague told Interim Police Chief Shawn Craig to stop his initial investigation and hand the case to the sheriff's office in order to get an "impartial review."

Craig was not available for comment.

"Until that investigation is done and either charges come or are dropped, I have no comment," Sprague said.

"That's where I stand until this investigation is closed."

The two officers, who are not being named because they haven't been charged, work full-time for the Greenwich Police Department. Both men originally were hired as part-time officers, one in June 2004, the other in June 2003.

Howard expects to meet with Sutherland after he finishes his investigation. After that meeting, the pair plan on speaking to Sprague, whom Howard said he has contacted several times.

"Hopefully I'll be able to conclude my investigation toward the end of this week," Howard said.

"He probably didn't get started until the middle of last week," Sutherland said about Howard's progress. "Dane will try to get it tied up this week."

Sutherland first spoke to Sprague and Craig about the allegations in late June, about the time the interim police chief turned the case over to the sheriff's office.

Craig, the former assistant chief, was named the interim police chief June 21 after Chief Kevin VerBurg resigned during an executive session of village council meeting.

VerBurg, the chief since 2003, resigned for personal reasons after he moved out of Greenwich.

Recommended for You