no avatar

Cigarette causes Plymouth house fire

Norwalk Reflector Staff • Oct 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM

PLYMOUTH A dropped cigarette was the cause of a Mulberry Street house fire Monday. The blaze caused about $50,000 worth of damage.

"It can be redone, but it's not livable at this time," Plymouth Fire Chief Tim Redden said Friday about the house. "I think it was accidental."

It's unknown where the owners are staying now. Redden said the couple was out of state when the fire was reported at 7:15 a.m. Monday, but their son was house-sitting. Nobody was injured.

"The living room area was (fully) involved," Redden said about what firefighters discovered upon arrival.

"After (the) investigation, it was determined to be (a) cigarette in a chair. ... It must have gotten dropped."

Firefighters used between 4,000 and 5,000 gallons of water to douse the blaze, which was under control in about an hour. Redden said the department is waiting for the final report, but the fire is no longer under investigation.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos