AUG. 17, 1925
The top stories in the Norwalk Reflector-Herald on this date 82 years ago:
Little girl dies of grief over death of grandmother
The death angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. A.E. Smith of 17 Chatham Street Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and claimed Mary Alice Smith, the lovely 12-year-old daughter of the household.
It is believed the child's death was caused by grief over the passing of her grandmother, Mrs. Mary Uraula Mossbrugger, who expired here last Wednesday.
Born here on Nov. 17, 1913, the girl had resided all her life in the house in which she passed away. The child attended St. Paul's parochial school where she was much admired and esteemed for her bright mind and her winsome and ingratiating ways. She would have been a member of the seventh grade.
She is survived by her parents, sister Rita, aged four, the grandmother, Mrs. Mary E. Smith, three uncles, five cousins and a large number of friends.
Until the time of the death of her grandmother, to whom she had been deeply attached, the child had been in fair health. The passing of her beloved relative, however, had a marked effect on her physical condition. She became violently ill last week and it is believed that grief over the death of the grandmother so weakened the child that she was unable to withstand the effects of her illness.
Paint the Dinky, urges lady, even at public expense
"Let us take up a public collection have the Dinky painted," phoned a West Main St. lady to the Reflector-Herald office this morning. She protested with considerably asperity that to have the Main St. car half painted as it recently came form the shop is a reflection on the city, where neat homes prevail on every street. It appears the car suffered a damaged vestibule some weeks ago and was sent to the company's shops at Sandusky, the vestibule repaired and then freshly painted, the balance of the car being left with the dingy coat of paint it got some ten years ago, making it now look as though its face were washed. The car's present condition has aroused a lot of unfavorable comment and general opinion is that Norwalk and the car's faithful and courteous crew merit something better than this.
Jolted by 2200 volts, electrician hangs helpless from pole
To hang suspended on a life belt from a telephone pole 40 feet from the ground while in an unconscious condition from the effects of a 2200-volt electric shock, was the terrifying experience of Alfred Greenfelder here Saturday.
Greenfelder remained hanging from the pole about two minutes before he revived and was able to regain a secure position. Aside form painful burns on the hand and leg, Mr. Greenfelder is none the worse for the incident.
Compiled by Andy Prutsok