no avatar

Augustus Fergel dies at 57

• Feb 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM

Feb. 13, 1901 

The top stories in the Norwalk Daily Reflector on this date in 1901:


Passes away at his home on East Main Street, Bellevue

After suffering a number of years, Mr. Augustus Fergel passed away at his home on East Main Street, Bellevue, Saturday evening, Feb. 9th, at 9:30 o’clock.

The deceased was born near Paris, France, 57 years ago. He came to America 45 years ago, locating first at Cincinnati and afterwards moved to Norwalk where he married and was engaged in business more than 30 years on State Street and held several local offices with credit and ability. He first moved with his family to Bellevue about five years ago and after two years’ residence there removed to Washington, D.C. for one year before moving back to Bellevue.

Mr. Fergel was a solder of the Civil War, a member of the famous Eighth O.V.I., and served through the war. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness and was a prisoner at Andersonville for nine months. He never fully recovered from the hardships and exposures incident to Army and prison life and had been a great sufferer for the past few days.


Insane patients

The incurable insane patients, who have been taken care of at the various county infirmaries throughout the state, are being taken to the state asylums for future care and protection. A number of patients at the Huron County Infirmary have been transferred within the past few days, two having been taken to the Toledo asylum today. The others at the infirmary are expected to be moved to Toledo next week.


Parks hurt

Hon. Parks Foster arrived home in the president’s private car over the Nickel Plate and C.L.&W. railroads Monday forenoons, says the Lorain Democrat. Mr. Foster and several other prominent railroad capitalists have been out in the west looking up some dealts that there is thought to be money in. While out driving, Mr. Foster was thrown from a buggy and badly hurt.


A good word for Norwalk

The Bellevue Gazette says:

The sale of the 500 lots, required to insure the location of the steel plant in that city, commenced at nine o’clcok this morning. A telephone message, received at this office, says that a big crowd was on hand and up to noon, 170 lots had been sold, and they were going at a lively rate. Here’s hoping that every lot will be sold before the end of the week and that our sister city will secure this great industry.



Norwalk Reflector Videos