logo


no avatar

Report no trace of missing boy

• Oct 11, 2018 at 8:00 PM

Oct. 11, 1939 

The top stories in the Norwalk Reflector-Herald on this date in 1939:

 

Report no trace of missing boy

No word has been heard of James Nicholas, 14-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Porter Nicholas, of 102 Benedict Ave. The boy was reported missing last Saturday night. His flaming red hair makes his appearance distinctive. Local police are aiding in the search.

 

Paul H. Kaufman named head of local legion post

The annual election of officers of Ken-Bur-Bel Post 41, American Legion resulted as follows:

Commander, Paul H. Kaufman; Sr. Vice Com., Merle McConkey; Jr. Vice Com., Floyd E. Rice; Finance Officer, W.H. Ballard; Adjutant, Cecil Goul; Chaplain, T.S. Jenkins; Historian, J.H. Williams; Sergeant-at-Arms, Harvey Lawson. 

Members of the Executive Committee, Elton Macklin, Louis O’Dell, W.W. Wilkinson.

 

Razing old hotel

The Attica Hotel, built 104 years ago at Attica to cater to pioneers traveling in prairie schooners, and to drivers of wagons loaded with wheat bound for the old grain port at Milan, is being razed to make room for a filling station.

 

History of Musical Club is feature of meeting

The Norwalk Musical Club opened its club season Tuesday with the initial meeting held at the D.A.R. House, beginning with a delightful six o’clock dinner, served by the hospitality committee composed of Mrs. Harry Bennett, Mrs. M.L. Battles and Mrs. Meade Park. The delicious meal was served in the sun room at a U-shaped table attractively centered with bouquets of roses in the club colors — crimson and gold.

The program for the evening was in the hands of Mr. Harry Bennett, who offered a most comprehensive account of the history of the club, entitled “Our Beginnings,” from which the following is taken:

“The origin of the Norwalk Musical Club was evidently the result of the good heartedness and neighborliness of the people living on South Garden Street. One family, which moved onto the street in 1914, was immediately welcomed by the next door neighbor who insisted upon helping them get settled and asked them to eat at their house. The newcomers soon discovered that it was not unusual for several families of the street to have dinner together after which the evening was spent in informal conversation, or if some one or two felt so inclined the rest were privileged to listen to a solo or duet. Within a couple of years, the more or less regular gatherings got to be an institution and was vaguely referred to as the “Garden Street Club.”

“As these good neighbor gatherings continued it became evident that there was considerable talent resident in Garden Street and someone suggested that it would be nice to  organize a Music Club.

“In the winter of 1916-17, the following persons were present at a dinner meeting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Harter:

Mr. and Mrs. Otto Harter, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. W. Barnes, Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Miles, Mr. and Mrs. G.E. Scott, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Lang, Mr. and Mrs. Lowell West, Mr. and Mrs. Penn Kellog and Miss Elizabeth Yanquell.

“By mutual consent an organization was formed and a simple constitution prepared by Mr. Kellog was adopted under the title of Garden Street Music Club and Mr. Harter was unanimously elected its first president.”

 

Coming Friday — Oct. 12, 1939: Saw World Series games in N.Y.

— Compiled by Andy Prutsok

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos