no avatar

Why does Social Security produce cat videos?

By Erin Thompson • May 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Many people have questions about getting a Social Security card. Here are answers to a few common questions. 



I run a bed and breakfast. By this time every year, I am tired of all the paperwork involved with filing taxes. Is there an easier way for small businesses to file W-2s for their employees?


Absolutely. If you are a small business owner or entrepreneur, you should check out Social Security’s Business Services Online (BSO) website. There, you can file your employees’ W-2s and W-2cs electronically and print out the W-2s to provide paper copies to your employees. You also can verify the Social Security numbers of your employees. Our online services are easy to use, fast, and secure. Visit our BSO page at www.socialsecurity.gov/bso.



I’m expecting a baby this June. What do I need to do to get a Social Security number for my baby?


Apply for a number at the hospital when you apply for your baby’s birth certificate. The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child’s information with us and we will mail the Social Security card to you. You can learn more about the Social Security number and card by reading our online publication Social Security Numbers for Children, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.



I noticed that my date of birth in Social Security’s records is wrong. How do I get that corrected? 


To change the date of birth shown on our records, take the following steps:

• Complete an application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5);

• Show us documents proving:

- U.S. citizenship (if you have not previously established your citizenship with us);

- Age

- Identity

• Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

Note that all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. For details on the documents, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ss5doc.



I stumbled onto your YouTube channel while looking at funny cat videos. Why does Social Security produce cat videos?


It’s just one of many ways for us to connect to people where they already spend time. It’s important for us to let everyone know about all we do for Americans. We’re especially interested in getting the word out about our easy, convenient, and secure online services. That’s why we look for creative ways to reach people, young and old. Our popular YouTube videos are not only a hit with viewers, but they let people know the best way to apply for benefits — online. See the videos for yourself at www.socialsecurity.gov. Just select the YouTube link at the bottom of the page. By the way, the cat videos have already received more than one million views. 



I got married and I need to change my name in Social Security’s records. What do I do?


If you change your name due to marriage or for any other reason, you’ll need to report the change and get a corrected Social Security card with your new name. You will need to fill out Form SS-5. You can get a copy of this form by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov/ss5doc or by calling our toll-free number 1-800-772-1213. You’ll also need to provide the original marriage certificate showing your new and old names. You can mail or take the documentation to your local Social Security office. In some cases, we may need other forms of documentation as well. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos