Flyers blank Big Red in game called by power outage

Cary Ashby • Sep 21, 2018 at 11:46 PM

PLYMOUTH — St. Paul coach John Livengood experienced a first in his 28-year coaching history Friday — a game being called for a power outage.

Just before the nearly 30-minute delay because of the lights going out at the Plymouth field, the Flyers were on the Big Red’s 2-yard line with about a minute left in the third quarter. On the previous play, St. Paul junior running back Cam Caizzo took the ball on a 19-yard run to the outside.

Officials called the game about 9:15 p.m., giving the Flyers (4-1) a 28-0 win. They are 2-0 in the Firelands Conference. Plymouth fell to 2-3 and 0-2.

The first score didn’t come until 1:02 left in the first quarter. Senior Noah Good finished off a 73-yard drive with a 7-yard run into the end zone. The drive featured a 43-yard pass from senior quarterback Jake Griffin to classmate Gavin Starcher.

St. Paul was on its own 12-yard line when Griffin hit Good for 88-yard touchdown reception. Good broke away from tacklers for the long run to give the visitors a 14-0 lead with 8:30 left until halftime.

The Flyers took a 21-0 lead into the locker room when junior Ethan Blair found the end zone from five yards out. The drive featured a 40-yard pass to Starcher, who had three catches for 94 yards.

At halftime, St. Paul had outgained Plymouth by 250 yards to 75. All of Plymouth’s yardage in the first two periods came on the ground.

“I think first of all, you have to give credit to Plymouth. They’re a good football team; they’ve got good size and the backs run hard. They were able to get a stop on us in that first series,” Livengood said.

“They are the type of team — and I mentioned this earlier in the week — they like to chew up the clock,” he added. “They like to pound the football and it took us a while to get a stop on them. I like the way our kids responded; they came back and we were able to start pulling away in the second quarter.”

About halfway through the third quarter, Good scored his third TD of the night on a 25-yard run up the middle. The score — which ended up being the final one of the night — ended a short 48-yard drive.

Good gained 72 total yards on the ground and two TDs. He also caught three passes for 97 yards and another score.

“We had a long run by Noah called back too. I think overall our kids performed pretty well. It’s a tough place to play. Plymouth is a good, physical football team and I thought our kids were starting to hit their stride,” Livengood said.

Big Red coach Mark Genders couldn’t be reached for comment after the game.

St. Paul continues FC play by hosting Ashland Crestview on Saturday. Plymouth looks for its first league win at Western Reserve on Friday.


St. Paul 7 14 7 — 28

Plymouth 0 0 0 — 0


SP — Noah Good 7 run (kick by Griffin)

SP — Good 88 pass from Griffin (kick)

SP — Ethan Blair 5 run (kick)

SP — Good 25 run

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos