logo



Local family suffers loss of family pet and home damage following dryer fire

Stacey Hartley • May 3, 2019 at 1:00 PM

OLENA — A family cat died Thursday morning in a house fire.

The Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department, North Central EMS and local law enforcement officials responded to a fire about 9:30 a.m. at the Meadow Brook Mobile Estates, 863 Peru-Olena Road.

When Fairfield volunteer firefighters arrived at the scene, they entered the rear of the home where the fire started and were able to get the flames down in a “relatively” short amount of time with the use of a hose, Chief Edward Eden said. The fire started in the dryer and all the damage was contained to that part of the house, Eden said.

While all the occupants of the home managed to escape the blaze and smoke, the same couldn’t be said for the family’s pet cat. It never regained consciousness after firefighters worked to save the animal with CPR and rescue breathing equipment for several minutes.

The Norwalk Fire Department offered mutual aid at the scene. The crew brought an engine, tanker and three off-duty firefighters who remained at the scene for close to three hours.

Ohio Edison FirstEnergy Co. and the American Red Cross also assisted at the scene.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos