logo


no avatar

Chimney fire closes 99, causes $5K in damage

By Norwalk Reflector staff • Feb 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM

GROTON TOWNSHIP — A chimney fire closed Ohio 99 for a couple hours Thursday night and did about $5,000 worth of damage.

Groton Township firefighters and the Huron River Joint Fire District sent about 20 crew members to 9404 Ohio 99 after Groton Township was dispatched at 7:15 p.m. An engine from Huron River was requested at 7:42.

“The house was filled with light smoke” due to the chimney having some faults, Groton Township Volunteer Fire Chief Kerry Jett said. “There was some damage to a wall.”

Firefighters had to expose a wall near the chimney to check for extension. The chimney is on the south side of the residence.

“Luckily they spotted it in time. We got there in good time,” said Jett, who estimated there was $5,000 or less damage.

While the crews were at the scene, the Erie County Sheriff’s Office handled traffic control. The house is located between Strecker Road and Ohio 113 in Groton Township.

“Hopefully the family will get back in there,” said Jett, who believes the residents made arrangements to stay with family members. 

Firefighters returned to the Groton Township station about 9 p.m. 

“It was shortly before that that (Ohio) 99 opened back up,” Jett said.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos