logo


no avatar

Boiler catches fire at Chef's Garden

Michael Harrington • Updated Jan 30, 2019 at 4:38 PM

MILAN TWP. — Firefighters responded to Chef’s Garden on East Scheid Road near Camp Road after the farm’s boiler caught fire.

Milan Township fire received a call at around 7:30 a.m. Monday about a structure fire at the farm. Huron fire was called in for automatic mutual aid bringing additional equipment and five more firefighters to the 14 volunteer Milan firefighters who responded.

“The fire was caused by ash from their boiler heating process which uses corn cobs,” Milan fire Chief Brian Rospert said. “With the weather conditions, I’d like to thank Huron fire along with Milan Township firefighters for their handling of the call.”

Everyone got out of the of the building and no injures were reported, but the fire caused approximately $25,000 worth of damage to the structure, Rospert said. The damage was to the building’s exterior and was visible from the road.

The fire, however, didn’t cause any significant damage to the farm’s operations and its crops, since the farm was able to restart the boilers once the fire was extinguished. 

“I talked to the Jones family (the farm’s owners) they were able to get their boilers back online to power their greenhouses and keep their crops warm,” Rospert said.

Milan and Huron firefighters left the scene at about 9:40 a.m.

 

Norwalk Reflector Videos