logo



Pleasant school 'acted quickly and efficiently' to put out small fire

Cary Ashby • Nov 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Pleasant Elementary staff members and staff received a compliment when Norwalk firefighters responded to a small fire that was out upon arrival Tuesday afternoon.

“The fire department said we acted quickly and efficiently; that’s always nice to hear,” Principal Janice Smith said.

Firefighters responded to Room 101 in the school at 3:27 p.m. According to the crew’s report, an unattended candle was to blame for the start of the fire, which spread from the candle that was on top of a filing cabinet to a nearby electric fan and some paper products at the base of the cabinet. 

Smith said there were no injuries and in fact, “there were no kids in this whole wing.” The students who were in the school were in the cafeteria waiting for their buses.

“Just a couple buses (left), not all the kids. We took them out just a little bit earlier than normal,” Smith said.

A custodian noticed smoke coming from the classroom and notified staff of the fire, which initiated an evacuation. School employees grabbed a nearby extinguisher and proceeded to the room to extinguish the fire, according to the report.

Firefighters used positive-pressure fans to ventilate the classroom. Chief John Soisson and the fire inspector were at the school to investigate the fire.

When accidents happen, such as the incident Tuesday, Smith said the school reviews its procedures and safety protocols. The principal added that students perform safety drills each month.

“That’s normal,” Smith said.

Firefighters returned to the station at 4:10 p.m., almost 45 minutes after they arrived.

Norwalk Reflector Videos