logo


no avatar

Norwalk man gets 20 years for sex trafficking

By Tandem Media Network • Nov 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM

A federal judged sentenced a Norwalk man to prison for inducing teen girls to engage in sex acts and recording it under the false belief he was making a pornographic movie.

Charles Barbarotta, 33, previously pleaded guilty to two counts of sex trafficking of a minor in the U.S. District Court in Toledo. On Wednesday, federal Judge Jeffrey Helmick sentenced Barbarotta to 20 years in prison.

Barbarotta was originally indicted in October 2017 on the sex trafficking charges as well as charges of wire fraud and sexual exploitation of a minor, but he accepted a plea agreement and the other charges were dismissed, according to the court docket.

The charges originated from incidences in December 2016 when used fraud to compel teen girls to engage in commercial sex acts.

Barbarotta used the scheme convince two teen girls into performing sex acts with him for what he fraudulently claimed would be a pornographic film he was producing and directing, according to a U.S. Attorney’s Office news release.

“This man misrepresented himself to trick two underage girls,” U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman said. “This case is a cautionary tale for teens and parents alike. This sentence means the defendant will not be able to prey on minors anymore, but we know there are others out there like him.”

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Ottawa, Huron and Erie County Sheriff’s Offices investigated Barbarotta.

“We are pleased this child predator will be behind bars for a significant amount of time,” said Stephen Anthony, FBI Special Agent in Charge.

 

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos